Achim D. Brucker, Software Assurance & Security Research at University of Exeter, discussed security certifications at this month’s SWCSC Networking Meeting.
Achim’s Intro to Security Certificates
- Many certificates are required when applying to cyber jobs and roles, where it is essential to know specific standards and tools.
- Knowledge areas:
- Core knowledge = broad, high-level
- Expert knowledge = depth and specialism
- People are asked to obtain too many certificates. Since there is a handful needed for the main areas of cyber security, it is important to check if the certificate is relevant and worth the money for you.
Paul Jerimy – Interactive Website
- Paul Jerimy created an interactive website listing 375 different security certificates and using schemes to show levels from entry to expert/ senior, and the categories such certificates fit in (e.g. Security Operations, IAM, Network Security).
- This website is a great way to see which certificate is required for your specific cyber security path and the knowledge you need to know.
- It essentially is an efficient tool as it saves you time and money when it comes to knowing which security certificates to get.
- Go to the Paul Jerimy Website