Andy Favell, ex police operations and then made the transition to Cyber. Discussed how to transition into cyber and the skills he had learned through a particular programme. Andy has been re-tooling and re-transitioning, partly due to COVID.
Capslock and Andy’s Journey:
- Capslock is an educational programme, who call themselves an intensive cyber boot camp.
- Capslock is a new business who have only been alive for around 12 months.
- When Andy had lots of time on his hands due to COVID, end of 2020 – beginning of 2021, he took some time to research for potential cyber security related courses. Andy was searching for a course to understand Cyber Security and all the aspects in order to embody best practice and engage in the sector with fellow professionals.
- He found that none of the programmes quite fitted the bill, until he found Capslock.
- After some due diligence, as it seemed “too good to be true”, Andy booked a call with one of the founders of the company. He was hooked straight away and sent off an online application.
- After some pre-course basics, Andy took part in this programme in March 2021.
- The programme is delivered virtually and covers many areas of Cyber Security.
- Syllabus: Main Problem Areas:
- Understanding Business
- Security by Design
- Identity & Access Management
- Offensive Defensive Security
- BCM (Business Continuity Management)
- They use Team Based Learning (TBL) where the “students” are put into groups of 5 and they stay within these groups for the duration, some individual learning is involved but then they share ideas amongst the group and collaborate.
Typical Day for Capslock Programme:
Case Study example:
Capslock – Programme had hidden depths
- Diversity of tutor team (academia and industry backgrounds)
- Inclusivity (full and part-time courses – part-time in the evenings, encouraging women and people from non-cyber backgrounds)
- Team industry mentor (CISO and highly experienced cyber security leads)
- Dedicated careers support (30 out of 53 who were on Andy’s course now work directly in cyber or cyber related roles after the programme)
- Learning resources (broad learning materials and resources that cover the many areas of cyber security)
- Breadth of curriculum
Capslock – Was it worth it?
- 16 weeks
- Improved knowledge
- Improved understanding
- Networking fundamentals
- Better understanding in areas of Cyber Security
- Achieved Andy’s goals in what he wanted to get out of the course and further apply to a cyber career afterwards
- Graduation and certification/ award