Cyber Sector Team in DCMS focusing on growth, innovation and skills – Regional Leads
- Lauren Metalle – South West
- Daljinder Mattu – Midlands
- Beck Mulvany – North West
- Jennie Noble – North East & Yorkshire
Our Team and Role:
- We are regional leads in the Cyber Sector team, with a focus on growth, innovations and skills in the Cyber Security and Digital Identity Directorate.
- We are based in our regions and cover the South West, Midlands, North West, and North East & Yorkshire.
- Been in roles for 10 weeks – relatively new.
- As part of the next National Cyber Security Strategy, in relation to the ecosystem pillar – we are contributing to Levelling Up agenda, we drive growth and innovation in the UK cyber security sector, building and expanding DCMS regional reach impact/
- We use our networks and knowledge to gather valuable insights into the reach of policy delivery, providing a bridge between local partners, stakeholders and wider government.
- Gather, analyse and communicate local intelligence data to shape and translate policy and programme design to ensure it is impactful.
- Identify opportunities for local work within regions, to ensure better interventions and improve sustainability.
- Troubleshoot and understand challenges, remove/ unlock blockages and connections to enhance policy and programme implementation.
- Realtime local intelligence, your eyes and ears on the ground.
- Translate and contextualise key departmental messages and strategic objectives including effective two-way communication with local stakeholders.
- Horizon scanning and risk management.
- Ministerial engagement, roundtables, sector engagement and consultations.
- Regional Cyber Clusters, Cyber Resilience Centres.
- Pan regional partnerships, Combined and Single Local Authorities and other gov bodies (Growth Hubs, LEPs, etc).
- Charities, CIC’s Social Enterprises and Voluntary community sector organisations.
- Private sector businesses.
- Further and Higher Education.
- Academic Centres of Excellence in Cyber Security Research/ Education.
- SME Hubs and trade associations
- National Cyber Security Centre / GCHQ.
Cluster & Regional Leads – Our Shared Objectives:
- Promoting the expertise of regions to grow cyber businesse’s outside London and the South East.
- Support, amplifying and driving cyber growth and innovation across the regions.
- Sharting and disseminating information/ knowledge and awareness of the importance of cyber security.
- Building new and strengthening existing relationships with regional and national stakeholders and emerging influencers.
- Ensuring cyber skills development is informed by regional priorities at a national level.
- Support the UK’s collective effort to remain a world leader and leading cyber power.
Our Distinct Role:
- Coordinating and developing policy to address government priorities, Growth, Innovation and Skills across our regions and directly advising Ministers.
- Navigating Whitehall and other government departments to drive cyber action a regional focus.
- Mitigate problems in partnership with regional stakeholders to increase policy impact and success.
- Promoting ‘inclusive growth’ by plugging regional gaps, removing barriers to national programmes and increasing opportunities for investment by bringing sectors together.
Working Together – avoiding duplication:
- Regular contact and information sharing on priorities and projects.
- Agree working practices and expectations and being clear about roles and responsibilities.
- Two-way communication and mutual support.
Working Together – adding value:
- Early sight of policy and programmes.
- New opportunities to influence policy decisions.
- Added capacity to run large events, bring people together to inform regional strategies.
- Supporting regional stakeholders to navigate and understand Government.
- Amplifying regional excellence and increasing understanding and support nationally.